SCA near Rice University?

Mike Baker mbaker at rapp.com
Thu Aug 8 16:55:00 PDT 1996

> Stupid question time....how old is Kingmaker?

The game _Kingmaker_ dates back to about 1965, if memory serves. Copies of
the original publisher's printings fetch healthy prices on the game
collector's circuit.

As a game, it is reasonably simple. As an introduction to the historical
wars of succession leading to the Tudor monarchy in England, it isn't much.
(Players gain some idea of relative strengths of the major families and a
vaguely unsatisfying introduction to the geography of England and Wales,
plus a basic listing of the powerful offices that individuals might hold.) I
haven't opened the box on my Avalon Hill-printed copy -- the second
publisher, not nearly as valuable -- in as much as ten years...

But it catches the attention of many who find the SCA a comfortable place to
be.

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, who happened to be referee for the game when
Mark Wallace appeared in Stillwater, Oklahoma. In the guise of William
Blackfox he answered many questions -- and raised a great many more!

Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!