Peerage Stuff Re: Why I Hate Fencing

Nathan Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 11 09:49:14 PST 1996

Our Clare wrote:
>Peer Quality; there is a Simple Patent of Arms that can be given out in
>many kingdoms.  We used to have one and I frankly have not kept up with
>it's life.

Hmmm...the only person I know of who has a Simple Patant of Arms is
Constance St.Dunston down in Bjornsborg.  And that was given, what, about
twenty years ago?    No, more than that, it was after she was Princess of
the Principality.

>I tend to agreed with Savein and I would like to think that people know me
>as a Peer, treat me with that respect without regard to what kind of Peer I
>am.  I think that is the greatest honor --- to be held in respect because
>of how people think of me and not what award I hold.

Hear, hear!

Let me digress a moment:
 I was cured very early on of Peer Fear.  I tend to think of Peers as
Kingdom resources, valued for their knowledge.  There is a joke that once
one is made a Peer all the knowledge in the universe descends upon them, but
with the curse of not being able to communicate most of it!  *grin*  The sad
part of that is, I think, it does reflect what many of the people mistakenly
think of our Peers.  These are the same people who hold Peers on such high
pedestals that they would never think of approaching one with a question.

But, even though I know that our Peers are all too human, I still have a
huge respect for those who have been recognized on that level.  They inspire
me to become more active in the running of things in the Kingdom and to play
better and more accuratly.

Gio

p.s.  And the purpose of this letter is not to suck up to the Peerages, it's
not, it's not, it's not!  *grin*