off-topic but extremely important.

Robin Cooke abbacus at juno.com
Wed Dec 11 20:53:18 PST 1996

Some disclaimers:

1.  Yes, it's off-topic.   2.  If you have kids, this message will impact
you right in the gut.  Find them and hug them NOW before reading. 3.
If you have a heart, this message will impact you almost as hard.  Hug
someone who you care about NOW before reading. 4.  If you cry and/or
vomit from disgust easily, be prepared to do so after reading.

>I don't normally send out stuff like this, but I did some research
>and this really DID happen.  So, please, take a few minutes out of
>your day and read the following letter.  If you want more information
>about the contents, set your web browser to
>http://digmo.org/news/nation/frontpage.html

>>Please read this, particularly if you're a parent.
>>I'm not selling anything and I'm not promoting any product.  I'll be
>>as brief as possible.
>>
>>I read a news story recently, a follow up article about a little
>>girl, a 12 year old (some say 13) that was found dead, wrapped in a
>>blanket, thrown in a ditch along a Virginia roadway.  I live in
>>Virginia, and as I read the story I remembered hearing brief radio
>>updates during earlier months about the girl.  The radio reports
>>never provided many details and I remember feeling saddened each
>>time I heard one.  Then, thankful my own children were safe, at
>>least for the day, I'd continue with my daily routine. (We're all so
>>busy...aren't we?)
>>
>>I found the follow up story while visiting The Virginia Gateway at
>>http://www.gateway-va.com/gateway.htm
>>
>>The story had some details and they sickened me.  This innocent
>>child, Valerie Smelser, was kept in the basement of the family home
>>for months. She was starved, naked and cold.  The article said the
>>temperature in the basement was measured at 68 damp degrees. She was
>>made to live in her own excrement.  She was beaten, then ultimately
>>killed.  The monster who did this was her mother's boyfriend.
>>Although in my opinion her mother is equally responsible because she
>>allowed it to happen.  Both are disgusting. Both are to blame.
>>Funny how monsters seem to stay together.
>>
>>Her hellish life, according to the report, began in October and
>>ended in January when the monster ordered her to empty a pan of
>>urine.  The undernourished child spilled it, probably too weak to
>>carry it, and the monster attacked.  Striking her to the bottom of
>>the basements steps, he followed behind her, beat her, and the next
>>day the creatures (the mother and boyfriend) found Valerie dead at
>>the top of the steps.  (Can you imagine her struggling to the top of
>>the steps hoping for someone to help her?)
>>
>>The monsters tried to dress her, but she was too stiff.  They
>>wrapped her in a blanket, drove to a neighboring county, and tossed
>>her lifeless body into a ditch.  Then they went out to eat.  (Just
>>how heartless can a person be?)  I know it's repulsive, forgive me.
>>Please read on.....
>>
>>By the time I finished reading of her horror I was literally in
>>tears.  I'm a grown man of 37 years and quite honestly few things in
>>this life shake me, but this story was different.  I did not know
>>the child, I do not know the monsters.  After reading that the
>>boyfriend is appealing his conviction, I felt an overwhelming need
>>to do something, anything, to make people more aware of things like
> [...]

I don't believe in the death penalty.....at least I didn't.  Thanks
for reading it, y'all, now please write NBC.  Dateline does a good job
of investigating injustice.  Social Services in Virginia should have
to pay for this.  At the very least, the publicity may help make sure
this person never gets parole.  As to the egg donor (as opposed to
mother)......well, what I have to say about her is not for today.  But
there will be another day, and another place.