Bardic Circles at Events with drums!

J. Michael Shew jshewkc at pei.edu
Fri Dec 13 14:21:31 PST 1996

	The reason most bards give up and go home when the drummers show
up is the fact that most drumming "jam sessions" go from one set to
another, with the dancers working out for a half hour to an hour.  I know
this isn't Always the case, but at most events it is.  This means the
bards who had to wait 3-15 min. for air time now have to wait an hour to
two hours.
	The urge to perform is always primal to a bard.  I don't mind
drummers and dancers if they allow a 3-10 min interlude between dances so
us Northern Europeans get to play too.  We had a circle where the drummers
showed up and played when their turn came.  But the result after a half
hour was seven drummers showed, spread out around the circle, and
effecively took over for the next three hours...
	There should be a negociator here...
	Mikal

	Mikal the Ram, an annoying bard with no redeeming qualities
	     (J. Michael Shew   jshewkc at cyclops.pei.edu)
"Hear me Lodfafnir    you should hear and learn
Learn for the strength it will lend
Follow this verse    It will take you further!
A valiant friend     is of great value
Visit him often and well
Tall grass will grow     the thistles and tares
On a trail that nobody takes"
				- The Havamal, stanza 119
					 (translation mine)