Shy and in the SCA

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Thu Dec 26 10:43:50 PST 1996

I have been following the dicussion on Peer Fear and Shyness with interest.
I was in awe of the Crown when I first got in... but almost immediately (in
the first five or six years) I found that most of my close friends either
were peers or became peers, so I never had a chance to develop Peer Fear.
Nonetheless, I always respected them.  The knights were highly visible, and
made lots of noise and dust.  The Pelicans were off somewhere in the
background doing Pelican-things and making events run.  But I REALLY admired
the Laurels, for it was explained to me early that without their artistic
talents, much of the magic I saw around me would simply not exist.  I try to
remember how *I* felt about Laurels because of this now that I are one.

As for shyness, I was terribly shy when I got into the SCA.  No!  You over
there!  I SAW you snickering!  It's true!  I was a quiet, reserved shy
little Catholic girl who missed being a Benedictine nun in a cloisetered
order under the Rule of Silence by about <---> that much.  I knew that I was
shy, so when I developed my persona, I made Gunnora all the things that I
wasn't... strong, outspoken, not afraid to speak her mind, a fighter.  And
you know, over the years, I accidentally grew into that person.  If you
hadn't known me back then, you'd never guess now.  But the truth is, in
certain ways, I am still shy.  You almost have to live with me to realize
how much.

Aside from the SCA, the best thing I ever did to get over my shyness was
Toastmasters, which I highly reccommend.

Wassail and God Jul,
::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde