Peer Fear

Jeanne C. Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Fri Dec 27 10:07:16 PST 1996

> Dear Esrill, I am one of those shy people that you discribed so
> well. I have also done the hide-in-the-tent thing altho not in the
> last couple of years. One of the things that I am grateful to the
> SCA for doing is it seems to have taken somewhat of an edge off of
> my shyness. I still have trouble approaching people occasionally but
> fortunately folks are more apt to start the conversation with me
> now. This gives me a starting place in the conversation and a little
> time to "get into personna" . Please people remember, even brass can
> be shy. Not all of us have gotten here by being an in-your- face
> kind of person. What you may persieve as " stuck-up" could simply be
> a shy person struggling with their instinct to "run away".  A little
> understanding goes a long way. My dear Estrill, I would like you to
> know that the writing of this has my stomach in knots also . Thank
> you for having the "guts" to write your letter and allowing me the
> excuse to join in. Take care, friend.

I thought this was a wonderful post from someone both shy *and*
a "metalhead".  :-)

Also, as we occasionally tend to toss out, the truism that "even
peers can have a bad day" is quite true.  I have periodic migraines.
If I'm committed to doing something at an event, I feel a duty to
slug on for as long as I can, but I'm far from chipper and cheerful.
I am also not a morning person, contrary to the Pelican image.  I
like to sleep in on weekends.  I usually don't have that option at
events, so I am a little less than bouncy and bright-eyed.

I always try to provide an explanation, but when someone is shy
to begin with, how far this goes towards ameliorating a perceived
snub is questionable.

>                                                                Happy
>                                                                Yule,
>                                                                 Anna
> Mitrofanova
>                                                                 {the
>                                                                 Baro
>                                                                 ness
> Bonwicke }
Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
Barony of Caerthe
Kingdom of the Outlands