Mead Brewing?

Baker, Mike mbaker at rapp.com
Tue Dec 3 09:49:00 PST 1996

Pug, I have yet to finish a full batch of mead BUT:

I found that I got a "good" pitch using only a half package of champagne
yeast, mixed to warm water (about 10 degrees above room temperature) and
allowed to activate for roughly four hours. This was to a must of just less
than three gallons (have to check volume of the glass jug...).

BTW: I actually had too much must for the jug, and have two wide-mouth jars
covered by plastic wrap secured by rubber bands that seem to also be
fermenting well. I know that one of these supplemental mini-vats should have
had none of the champagne yeast introduced, so I am suspicious ... and will
be therefore be extremely cautious in testing the results from all three
containers.

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!