(Fwd) READ ME NOW!! IMPORTANT! (fwd) (fwd)

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Dec 3 11:41:12 PST 1996

(The warning was forwarded multiple times, with the From: and To:
lists apparently intact.  I'm broadcasting to all the e-mail addresses
mentioned in the forwarded version I got.)

It's good to see people looking out for their friends and
acquaintances.  However, the "Irina" virus is a complete hoax.  It's
basically the "Good Times" hoax with the name changed.  The Irina hoax
was put out by Penguin Books in the UK to help promote a book by that
name.  I have some info at home about its origin; please e-mail me at
tmcd at crl.com if you want more info.  As well, Pug <pug at pug.net> put on
the Ansteorran list a fine summary of various hoaxes; I can forward
that too.

Currently, all e-mail "virus warnings" are hoaxes; no mailer program
that I've ever heard of automatically runs the contents of a mail
message (you have to, at least, save an attachment and run it
yourself).

Please, help stamp out the Irina and Good Times hoaxes!

--
                             Tim McDaniel
              Never use mcdaniel at mcdaniel.dallas.tx.us.