Including the Crown in Discussions Affecting Their Subjects

Galen of Bristol pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Dec 3 18:08:12 PST 1996

Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

> Tim McDaniel said:
> Um, just curious, but what are you planning to talk about with the
> Crown?  I presume they won't forbid it -- it's a private group.  To
> get clearance for the announcement in the Black Star, perhaps?  Are
> there actually strong restrictions on Notes & Challenges items?
>
> Certainly a peer can talk to the Crown ... but I don't see what they
> have to do with this.
> =================================
> Heilsa!
>
> Actually, just as a courtesy thing.  Also to see if they have any interest
> in a formal charter such as was issued for Blue Feather in Caid (I think it
> was Caid).  It's always nice to consult the Crown and clue them in on what
> you're doing when it affects Subjects in Their Realm.
>
> Wassail and God Jul,
> ::GUNNORA::
>
> Gunnora Hallakarva
> Herskerinde
> Ek eigi visa (th)ik hversu o(dh)lask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna
> heldr hversu na Hersis-A(dh)al

As a recovering homophobe myself, I didn't really want to address this,
but I can't resist telling the story of when I was Kingdom Seneschal
under Patrick Michael I.  The Crown received a letter asking them
to charter a Blue-Feather type group in Ansteorra, and place a letter
in the _Black Star_ informing the populace about this new group and
commending it to their subjects.

Patrick, a former Marine, was loathe to even _touch_ the letter, and
was quite happy for me to answer it for him.  I declined for Their
Majesties as diplomatically as I could, while pointing out that this
fellow was certainly free to proceed to form his group and publicize
it.

Not really relevant, but I found Patrick's discomfort to be humorous,
and I still do.

- Galen
--
Viscount Galen of Bristol, KSCA, CSM, etc.
Paul Mitchell, pmitchel at flash.net / "noblesse oblige"