Shields

Baker, Mike mbaker at rapp.com
Fri Dec 6 13:31:00 PST 1996

timo, I find that I must disagree with you upon a particular point:

I know of no evidence that the Roman scutum was ever a true square, although
I must admit that I have not seriously studied the matter to be able to say
so with absolute certainty.

Every example of the scutum I remember seeing in my studies to date make it
an obvious rectangle, narrower in width than it is in the height dimension.

Sources? Other opinions / comments?

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!