eel dishes

Heidi J Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Thu Dec 12 10:34:09 PST 1996

Mari here!

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Nathan Jones wrote:

> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >Does anyone know where I can get eel (fresh or frozen) so I can try
> >making a medieval eel dish?
>
> This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw this letter!  I've heard
> rumors that you can get canned eel in some Anglophile stores (A Taste
> of England or similar named stores).  I've also heard that eel is
> fairly oily, which to my mind means that it is probably stongly fish
> flavored, but very rich.
>
> All rumor and conjecture, any facts out there?
>
> gio

I've eaten eel at Japanese restaurants/sushi bars.  However, the eel used
in sushi has been barbequed or smoked (I think) then prepared with a
sweet soy/sesame sauce.  It's delish!  Thus, while investigating oriental
food markets for same, I found canned preserved eel, and even succeeded
in convincing Mistress Jehanne to purchase same for medieval cooking
purposes.  We opened the can, checked it out and couldn't quite bring
ourselves to do anything about it (I think Pendaran might have eaten some).

The upshot of this ramble is that you can find canned eel in oriental
markets (and for all I know, you could find live or frozen eel there
too.)  Check it out.  Oriental markets are wonderous and amazing places.

Mari