Bad Bards or Bad Drummers?

Vicki Marsh zarazena at io.com
Sat Dec 14 12:49:21 PST 1996

Greetings to all drummer wanna-bees

>okay, before this thread gets lost, where can I find some middle eastern
>drumming tapes to learn more skills? I do have a learning manual, but I
>would rather have a tape so I can hear it done correctly.

I have a copy of "Doumbec Delight" from Mary Ellen Books, P.O. 7589 San
Francisco, CA 94120-7589

I know I have a companion tape for this book, also.

I believe Mid-East Manufacturing in Florida also has other books and tapes.
I don't have their current phone #.

Try to find any albums by Eddie "The Sheik" Kochak.

NOW, STOP ARGUING YOU GUYS!!

As for Rank Has its Priveledges, that is BS.  Until this last year, I was
just a Lady in the SCA, having received my A.O.A. in 1979.  I learned that
to be respected by others in the SCA, I did not need a brass hat or a title,
but I had to be self-confident, be a leader, and be willing to study and
practice at home, and teach others.

No one expects perfect performances here. We want to encourage everyone to
try their hands at new arts and sciences, but at the same time, there is a
certain level of expertise that one should obtain prior to trying to
perform.  It is embarrassing to get up to sing a song that I knew 5 years
ago and can't remember the words to now, and it is *my* fault for not
practicing it at home before trying to perform it.

I have literally put my drum away on those occasions when I could not keep a
steady rhythm to save my soul.  Sometimes, I have problems singing - can't
carry a tune in a bucket - so I don't sing that day.

I taught myself how to play the harp several years ago, spending hours and
hours practicing before I felt good enough to perform in public. Even so, I
am not all that good, but do it because I and others enjoy it.

We are quite spoiled when it comes to musical entertainment.  Everywhere we
go, we are surrounded by music recorded by professionals, so we come to
expect 3-minute performances of high quality.  We have to lower our
standards for home grown music to a point, understanding that most of us are
amatuers.  But we don't have to accept really rude behavior in the guise of
amatuer musicianship.

I suppose what I am getting to is what I call "The Joy of Mediocrity".  I
don't have to be the best at what I do, but I must feel good about the
performance before I do it.

Determining your audience and the mood is a whole 'nother topic I might
address later.

Zara Zina