Peer Fear

Baker, Mike mbaker at rapp.com
Mon Dec 23 08:34:00 PST 1996

Your Excellency,
     I have just dispatched a chiding response to Estrill, one that your
words make me realize may come across as harsh or uncaring. Please, believe
me when I say that they are not intended as either.
     I do not believe that I have the pleasure of having made your
acquaintance previously. I have no doubt that those who surround you in
Bonwicke care for you greatly and will support you well. Let them! (And
maybe we all can consider this discussion again in a couple of years in a
much different light.)
     I believe that I would not myself generally be considered shy, at least
within the SCA context. Hey, I've publically reminded a duchess that there
ARE other Highlands than those in Scotland - and more than once. However,
none of this means that I am always perfectly comfortable in social
settings, either. HG Willow I was introduced to long ago, and there are
still topics that we disagree upon that I would never bring up in her
presence. There are certain topics or situations where I am as completely
tang-toungled as the shyest, most inexperienced, newcomer in the Society.
     A (one) difference is that I have learned through experience that I
will survive, that most honest mistakes will be accepted as just that, and
that I have a whack of a lot more fun by being there among the active /
"important" folk - even if I am just listening from where I lean upon my
staff in the outer periphery.

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!