Why do some treat heralds so badly

Jennifer Kubenka jkubenka at post.cis.smu.edu
Wed Feb 14 04:54:27 PST 1996

OKay, so the gist is:

1. Some people are NOT morning people, and will be testy.  As I am a
morning person, I will allow that in my frame of mind, I cannot
understand that.  I repeat, in my frame of mind only.  I don't even
presume to speak for anyone else's frame of mind.

Of course, if I don't get enough sleep, I can be testy as well.

There's nothing to be done about this end of it, then, except that
emplying courtesy, whether you are or are not a morning person, is
the best and most courteous thing to do.

2. Someone, I forget who, wrote a message about the general ickyness
of quality of camp heralding.  If *that* is the case, then education
in proper vocal techniques, enunciation and pronunciation, and other
vocal abilities would be the answer.

3.  Someone else, I forget who, wrote that discourtesy is rampant in
society as a whole, not just our microcosm of society in the SCA.

In that case, I suspect the only thing we can do is to remember that
courtesy, good manners, and such begin at home, and if we do not
treat our own loved ones with such, then it is no wonder we do not
treat others with courtesy.

OTOH, if one small acorn into the mighty oak will grow...

Thank you all for the input.

As for me, my small household ( my lord husband and myself), we shall
keep on being polite to the heralds, even if they are not, well,
skillful in their delivery of information.  And then do our best to
train where we are able.

Emher, still recovering from the headcold, but considerably less
testy.

PS.  I find that the cannons do not bother me in the slightest.  Yes,
they are jarring.  But then, I'm usually awake before they get fired
off.