Mardi Gras

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Fri Feb 16 18:43:16 PST 1996

>-- [ From: Elizabeth Shahan * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
>I do belive that this was a holiday of sorts through out our period. I would
>guess from the lack of information on a huge celebration that this may have
>been celebrated much like saint's days or other small festivals and
>celebrations. I don't know when it got so big. Anybody know?
>
>nice question for a new thread
>
>Clare

"Mardi Gras" is French for "Fat Tuesday", which was the day before Ash
Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. For Catholics, Lent is a time of prayer,
fasting and self-denial leading up to Easter.
Therefore, Mardi Gras was the last-chance-to-party before 6 weeks of
deprivation. Traditionally, the party stops cold at midnight. I don't know
if/how much it was celebrated in the Middle Ages.

     -Tivar Moondragon
(What *do* they teach in schools these days?)