Wearing of med. clothes

Christopher Walden cmwalden at bga.com
Sun Feb 18 17:52:48 PST 1996

>[...]but
> there are some points where the "Garb" MUST be lax. Otherwise we are
> going to scare people away. Yes, if we wear garb to every event,
> we'll get attention, and people saying "ooh! This is really cool!",
> but it's unlikely they'll come to an event, because "I don't have
> any SCA-quality garb".

I think Mary points out something that we are shy about.  We
(including me) tell people how it is and then leave them to work it
out.  I wonder what would happen to these people if you said get $15,
join me on Saturday and we'll watch movies and make you some simple
garb.

Alden did that for me.  I try to do that for others, but I suffer
from being selfish sometimes and need to be whacked in the head from
time to time to get my head on straight.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as your heart's in the right place,
we can fix the accoutraments.  I'll teach you how to find feast gear
at good will and garage sales and I'll teach you what I know about
sewing.  I'll teach you how to play games, dance, sing songs, read
poems, speak forsoothly, speak French, act French, act Shakespeare,
eat with your fingers and wipe your hands on the table cloth, respect
royalty, fence, herald, win, lose and anything else that I have to
offer.

Antonio
Alden's