NMS

Patricia Horton horton at dhostwo.convex.com
Wed Jan 10 11:38:49 PST 1996

I think I made a mistake and send my reply to just Savian, so here it is
again. With respect to the NMS. Inman fought the Board hard, but had to
make concessions to keep things moving forward. After pay-to-play had
dropped, the Board instituted pay-to-fight. We were still refusing to collect
the NMS under Fredrick as Kingdom Seneschal. Just before Inman stepped down
he made the offer, if the Board would drop pay-to-fight, we (Ansteorra) would
collect the NMS. The Board dropped pay-to-fight, leaving it up to the Kingdoms.

When Jean Richard took the throne I asked, as the new KS, if he would honor
the offer made by Inman. I have asked each Crown since then giving the
history. Each has agreed to honor the deal made by their predecessor. I will
be asking Galen and Rebecca at the GOofS meeting just before they step up.
So, we did not go back on our fight or honor as a Kingdom. Our Crown made
an offer and we have honorably stuck to it. I hate this thing as much as
the next, and still question the "desperate" need for money. Yes, since I
have become KS, I do know the Board had run itself dry of operating reserve
and subscription liability. Yes, I do believe they needed to rebuild that.
Seems like we have gone a long way to rebuild it based on the figures I have,
partly do the the NMS. Do we still need it? I have my doubts. I have asked
you to reply to the Board's request for input. I made that request in both
the Blackstar and my monthly to the Seneschals. Instead of complaining here,
write to the Board. Don't wait for your leaders to do something, move on your
own.

Maire