Titles

Susan Harwood Kaczmarczik susanhk at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 12 07:30:30 PST 1996

Pug wrote:
>Am I playing the SCA cause I like the atmosphere and enjoy *trying* to do
>some of the research and crafts?
>Am I playing the SCA and assuming everyone is nobility?
>Am I playing the SCA and assuming everyone is equals?
>Am I playing the SCA and assuming everyone is insane?
>Am I an authenticity buff?
>
>I'd have to say yes, no, yes, yes, no.

But I am assuming everyone is an equal by according them the exact respect
I demand for myself.  If I'm willing to do for them what's only right and
proper for me, then of course that presumes equality.  ;)

Seriously, I do believe that using the full dignity of someone's title -
whatever it may be; there is just as much dignity in "My Lady" as in "Your
Majesty" - *is* a sign of equality.  As I said, I feel this way about the
world both within the Society and without.

And to say that titles only matter until 1600 (I know you didn't say that,
Pug), I think, is incorrect.  Else people wouldn't have been in such a
froth when Ms. was introduced lo these not so many decades ago.

Susan Harwood Kaczmarczik                          susanhk at mail.utexas.edu
"Art demands of us that we shall not stand still." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven