Definition

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at neosoft.com
Mon Jan 15 15:40:03 PST 1996

>To: ansteorra at eden.com
>From: meadhbh at neosoft.com (maddie teller-kook)
>Subject: Re: Definition
>Bcc:
>Just to end the debate.  I found the answer to this question by looking in
an etymology reference text.  From the 13th C Old French pal or pel meaning
stake or picket.

> To add feul to the fire try the following minor definition and derivatives:
>
>pel- Important derivatives are:  anvil, felt, filter, pulsate, pulse, push,
compel, expel, propel, repel, polish, and appeal.
>To thrust, strike, drive.
>
> Suffixed form *pel-de-. 1.  a. ANVIL, from  Old English anfilt(e),
anfealt, anvil ("something beaten on"); b.  (i) FELT, from  Old English
felt, felt; (ii) FILTER, from  Medieval Latin filtrum, filter, piece of
felt. Both (i) and (ii) from  Germanic *feltaz, *filtiz, compressed wool.
Both a and b from  Germanic *felt-, *falt-, to beat.