Schlager Test Report

William Wilson william.wilson at nau.edu
Tue Jan 16 07:39:16 PST 1996

Here is a copy of our tests using broken schlagers and trigger cloth.
Our results are radically different than yours.  We used a scientific
approach to the tests and because of the manner in which the tests were
done we are able to state clearly and safely that four layers of trigger
are more than adequate protection.

As a note, Don Christophe is formerly of the Outlands and has been studying
this type of test for quite some time.  Lady Bianca is an expert in
materials and so is a very good judge of how materials act.  Its her profession.

I have been the Kingdom Marshal of Fence fort Atenveldt for 3 years now and
have been fencing with schlagers for about 10 years.  Our history shows that
injuries typically do not result from broken schlagers.  Injuries occur when
stiff blades or heavy handed fighters do blunt trauma damage to other
fencers.  Luckily inthe past three years this has happened only a few times
in the Kingdom.  A group called the Adrian Empire uses schlager blades and
even though they hit very hard and do cuts with the blades, their armor
standards are not as strict as ours and they do not report (to my knowledge
talking with them) any more injuries than we have in the SCA with schlager
blades.  I have suggested inthe past and will continue to suggest that a
padded doublet be worn for schlager and that layers of trigger is not as
important.

Master Gwylym ab Owain, DWS

The tests....

This is a copy of the tests performed by Don Christophe lo Blanco and
Lady Bianca D-Orsini.

Extracted from an article by Lord Jakob von Hohl

The first test was performed with the fabric laid out on a carpet with
1/4 inch of padding underneath.  Each end of a fish scale was attached
to the ceiling and to a broken blade.  The tension on the scale was set
to zero pounds before each thrust.  The blade was thrust with increasing
poundage and the results noted.

For the second test, a 1/4 inch of padding was sewn to each test section
of fabric.  Each section was then stretched tightly on a frame which was
held at arms length by Lady Bianca.  The scale was then attached to the
wall and the sword.

In the third series of tests fabric was wrapped over pork ribs.  The
ribs were held at arms length by Lady Bianca and again the scale was
attached to the wall and the sword.

Several types of tight weave fabrics, trigger cloth and similar, were
used for all of the testing.  This report focuses on the puncture
resistance of tight weave fabrics.  Tests were performed on one through
four layers of fabric.  Three broken blades were used.  Two were broken
in combat by the Adrian Empire (a live steel organization) and one was
intentionally broken to compare the breaks.  The breaks were very
similar.  All three blades were used in each series.  Angles of thrust
varied from 0 to 90 degrees.  The most penetration occured at 0 deg. to
45 deg.  At higher angles, with multiple layers the first layer
punctured, but bunched up and prevented further penetration.

One layer of trigger, or equivalent, is punctured by 22 lb of force with
a broken blade.  Two layers require 28 lb of force and three or more
over 100 lb of force.

The following is a chart from the broken Hosten blade tests:

Test: Punch test on tightly stretched cloth.
Notes: In each attempt, the thrusts are straight in at the same location
on the fabric.
Layers of Trigger: 1

                             Attempts Made
Lb. of       1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10
Thrust
01-18                   No result
20                   Tear
22                   Thru

Layers of Trigger: 2

                             Attempts Made
Lb. of       1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10
Thrust
01-22                   No result
24                   Tear
22               Thru 1st
26-30        Thru 1st-Thru 2nd

Layers of Trigger: 3+
No visible effect up to 100lb. of focused pressure at one point.  With
angle added to the thrusts, fabic would tear and blade would penetrate
at 30 lb. of pressure.  As a result fabric tended to bunch on blade and
slow enough to minimize penetration of the 2nd layer and no penetration
of a 3rd layer.

Note: 3 oz leather gave same test results as 2-3 layers of trigger.