Titles

Maureen Martinez Maureen_Martinez at ccmail.us.dell.com
Thu Jan 11 12:25:12 PST 1996

>>Pug declares:

>>>Btw, it's a personal preference. I go by nothing but Pug. On the other
>>>hand, I've heard very few people refer to Mistress Claire as anything
>>>else.
>>
>>But there is only one Pug that I know of. There are two Clares here in
>>the barony. So, in this case, the title may be being used as a differentiator.
>>Mistress Clare and Clare is a bit easier than Clare and Clare with long red
>>hair
>>or some other adjective list. And either of these might be preferred by them
>>to "old Clare" and "young Clare" or some such.
>>
>>Stefan li Rous

In Elizabethan England, the terms "Master" and "Mistress" was used for anyone of
a higher rack or station as a term of respect, whereas your peers or equals
might be refered to as "coz", "cuz" (cousin), or "friend".  I often use Master
and Mistress to show my resect for someone.

Jenny Winslow
MKA Maureen Maureen