Award timing

R.Michael Litchfield litch at eden.com
Wed Jan 31 09:23:38 PST 1996

>        The biggest mistake I have seen is not in giving an overdue award,
>but in giving one far too soon.  I would much rather have the populace say
>"Finally!! You really deserve that. We thought you already had that!!"
>instead of hearing people say "What did she get that for? What does she do?
>Who is she?".
>                In Service to the Society, Lady Zahra Zena Theanos

This is utterly rediculous

When I started playing an AoA was a recognition that you were actually
playing, i.e. had a persona, garb, participated in something, in short that
you were a memeber of the society, this usually took about 6 months if that
long (this was a while ago like 10-12 years). Now you have to impress
someone in order to get that award.

The goalpost for every bloody award has been on a slow march forward, what
once would have gotten someone a pelican now barely gets noticed. This has
the unfortunate effect of making the society and old boys club. If you
played when it was easier to get an award once you get your first the rest
are fairly easy.

Delaying awards does nothing but foster ill-will and resentment. The
argument that making the awards "too easy" will devalue them is utterly
rediculous, the awards are worth NOTHING. They are at best a form of
recognition, at worst they are a political football.

-Mcihael