Award timing

Vicki Marsh zarazena at io.com
Wed Jan 31 12:19:45 PST 1996

>>This is utterly rediculous
>>
>>When I started playing an AoA was a recognition that you were actually
>>playing, i.e. had a persona, garb, participated in something, in short that
>>you were a memeber of the society, this usually took about 6 months if that
>>long (this was a while ago like 10-12 years). Now you have to impress
>>someone in order to get that award.

Litch, when I started in 1978, the level required for an A.O.A was the same
that you have listed above, but with a significant addition. That of
"Service" to the Society. Yes, you do have to do something to impress
someone.That has never changed.  Anyone can dress up and hang out, but an
Award of Arms (at least to me) stands for a contribution to the local or
area group that is enough to be recognized publicly. A Grant level award
stands for higher level of contribution towards either an artistic,martial,
or service goal.  A Peerage stands for a level of contribution that effects
the majority of the Kingdom, raising the artistic or martial learning, or
giving a supreme amount of service in any area.

>>The goalpost for every bloody award has been on a slow march forward, what
>>once would have gotten someone a pelican now barely gets noticed. This has
>>the unfortunate effect of making the society and old boys club. If you
>>played when it was easier to get an award once you get your first the rest
>>are fairly easy.

What you say concerning the goalposts for the awards is a valid issue as our
overall level of Service and learning has evolved with time.  Nothing is
static. When I go to events now, I see a fantastic difference in the quality
of costuming and persona development,especially in comparison to 1978. I can
also tell you that it wasn't very easy, even way back then, to get a peerage.

>>Delaying awards does nothing but foster ill-will and resentment. The
>>argument that making the awards "too easy" will devalue them is utterly
>>rediculous, the awards are worth NOTHING. They are at best a form of
>>recognition, at worst they are a political football.

If the awards are worth NOTHING, then why would delaying the award foster
ill-will and resentment? They should not be merit badges to earn, but should
be a form of public acknowledgement that one has already reached a certain
visible level of accomplishment.

        BTW, This is a topic I have enjoyed debating for many years, and
will probably continue to debate.
                        Zahra Zena