Persona/period research...

LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Mon Jul 8 13:03:14 PDT 1996

Ok.  I've been through some of the UT Arlington catalog.

An Atlas of Anglo-Saxon England is at G1816.S2 1981 H5 in both PCL and UGL
	Reference.

A search of "Hereford not cattle" brought up 36 citations, of which the
following caught my attention.

Charters of the Earldom of Hereford...  Camden Misc XXII (ed. David Walker).
Hereford City Excavations  (R. Shoesmith (with a name like that, where can
                            you go wrong?))

England--Antiquities brought up (among MANY othere things):

Anglo Saxon Settlements/Oxford UK/1988   (University Presses *traditionally*
                                         tend to be pickier about what they
                                         publish, although this is not always
                                         true)
Anglo Scandinavian York/(London?)/1986-  (this indicates it's a series of
                                         works)
The Rural Settlements of Medieval England: Studies dedicated to Maurice
de Beresford and John Hurst.             (This appears to be a Festschrift,
                                         or, a compilation of articles to
                                         honor a particular scholar or
                                         scholars in the fields that the
                                         articles are in.  They can often
                                         show the influence of the scholar
                                         in that field, or so forth)
Arnold, C.J. An archaeology of the early Anglo Saxon kingdoms/London/1988
                                         (It's a gamble)
Alfred, John.  History on the ground : an inventory of unrecorded material
relating to the mid-Anglo-Welsh borderland, with introductory chapters
/Cardiff/1977                            (I have no idea if it's any good,
                                         but the title is intriguing.)

England--History
Indexed as: GREAT BRITAIN HISTORY        (FYI)

Davies, John.  A History of Wales/London/1993  (I'm told it's a good book,
                                         but haven't read it myself).

OTOH, while browsing UTulsa's stacks for anything of any use, I ran into a
book called The Village in England (which UTexas doesn't have, but you
should be able to ILL it - even from US).  Graham Nicholson is the author
of Part One, The History of the Village, and Chapter 1 (Digging for Roots:
The Village to 1300) has some really interesting thoughts.  However, I don't
know anything about the author.  His Bibliography is not traditional, but
does look fairly complete.  The work on the early village he describes was
gathered from P.H. Sawyer (ed.) Medieval Settlement (edward Arnold, 1976) and
C. Taylor, Village and Farmstead (George Philip, 1983), which I will have to
track down.  However, he does give Bennet, H.S. Life on an English manor
(1937); H. Hallam, Rural England, 1066-1348; J.Z. Titow, English Rural
Society (1200-1350), and lot of other materials as sources.

Diarmuit/Marc