Knights

Hugh Niewoehner hughn at ssd.fsi.com
Thu Jul 18 08:58:10 PDT 1996

Aside from those who trade their belts for baldrics, or have them removed by
court of chivalry, I'd like to relate something recent.

Just this spring an individual came forward of his own volition and made the
following admission.  He had fought for a number of years in one of the
western kingdoms.  When he relocated to this new kingdom, he told everyone
he had been knighted on the field of Estrella and this was accepted.  His
conscience finally bugged him enough that he went and admitted his actions
to the crown and asked for punishment.  He then repeated his actions to the
public at large, stated his apology and basically said he would understand
if he became a pariah.  I'm proud of peoples reaction to this mans
admission, I'm certain it wasn't easy.  Gentle council and insight, no
reviling or calls for retribution or banishment.   Note that this individual
had the skill at arms and outward nobility of character to have perpetuated
this ruse had he chosen to.  Instead he publicly presented himself for
humiliation.  Yes there's more to it than that but it's enough to answer
your question.

     Damon

*-*
I keep three honest serving men (they taught me all I knew);
their names are what and why and when and where and how and who.
     -Rudyard Kipling