Being a survey on Perso

Chris Walden cmwalden at bga.com
Tue Jul 2 17:28:07 PDT 1996

 > Antoine D'Aubernoun wrote:
> >
>I think we suffer from a terribly indistinct sense of purpose.
We do.  We have purposes that overlap and we tend to step on people's
toes.  The solution-- not being sarcastic here-- is to find a narrow
isle and start lopping off exess toes.  Pick a narrow span of
history, such as the 12th or 13th century and make it manditory that
people do that.  You will offend.  GODS, you will offend!  But, once
everyone has gotten over their snit and conformed or found other
things to do, things would settle down, and the quality of the
*recreation* would improve.

The brunt of your conversation is that you prefer a *medieval*
atmosphere.  That probably also means that Elizabethans distract you
as well as early celts.  And that's OK.  I guess my concern is that
the things that the SCA seems to represent by it's activities--
swordplay, a love of royalty and honor-- are all easily present up
to the point of the death of Charles in 1649.  If that's not what
the SCA is for, then we need to change our activites to less
fighting and less court to better reflect that.  But as long as we
continue to be vague in our activities and focus, I see that the
early 17th century fits in just fine.

Antoine Sebastian Dore