Knights

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed Jul 17 14:13:59 PDT 1996

Ches asks:

In my quest to fill my files on knights I have another question to ask. Has a
knight ever been de belted? Voluteerily dropped their belt? Why?

Most definitely.

I have pasted to the bottom of this message the info that I found in my file
on the geneology of the chivalry in the SCA, chiv-geneology-art. I know this
file is incomplete because a number of the Ansteorran chivalry are not even
listed, so there are probably more.

As you can see, only Aonghis dubh MacTarbe is listed as having been de-belted
involuntarily. (Also as you can see, he was reknighted rather quickly. He is
now
serving prison time for murder).

Others may have resigned under duress, but that is not indicated in this file.
Nor are the reasons why they may have resigned it voluntarily.

Those who would like to get the entire list (81K bytes) can get it from me
by email as it is not at the Web site due to problems there. The author is
actively looking for corrections and additions to this file.

Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
markh at risc.sps.mot.com
<<<<<<

I have never heard of such a thing in the SCA so if you know of one in
European history can you remember enough of the text to give a source? I mean
other than Lancelot.

Lady Chiara
Reynardine de Clifford       Resigned     Lochac      Apr AS 21
Robert Roundpounder          MSCA         Atenveld    Feb AS  4
                                          Resigned    Feb AS  4
                             KSCA                     Aug AS  7
Baldar Langstritet                        Trimaris    Aug AS 20
                             Resigned                 Jul AS 30
Daniel the Executioner                    Atenveldt   Jan AS 13
                             Resigned                 Dec AS 14
Robin of Mightrinwood                     Atenveldt   May AS 14
                             Resigned                 May AS 15
                             MSCA                     May AS 15
Richard Ironsteed                         Atenveldt   Jun AS  5
                             Resigned                 Apr AS 10
                             MSCA                     Oct AS 16
Michael of Bedford                        Atlantia    Aug AS 15
                             Resigned                 Nov AS 19
                             Reknighted   Atenveldt   Aug AS 25
Bran ap Howell                            East        Apr AS 15
                             Resigned                 Jul AS 16
Galam Lionel Ostwestly                    Middle      Aug AS 16
                             Resigned                 Feb AS 26
Aonghis dubh MacTarbe                     East        Sep AS  8
                             Degraded                 Apr AS 13
                             Reknighted   An Tir      May AS 14
Brusten de Bearsul                        Middle      Aug AS 13
                             Resigned                 May AS 14
Coley Cuthbert                            Middle      Oct AS 10
                             Resigned?

<end>