?Open Meets, Newbie Intros?

Robin Gammon aceia at onr.com
Tue Jul 23 08:10:17 PDT 1996

Speaking of newbies...  I had a friend mention this idea to me and I
thought it was neat.  'There is talk here in AEthelmearc of  painting a
gold
key on all loaner garb. This way people could recognize a new person at an
event and not condemn them for their lack of period garb or inappropriate
manners. Anyone would be able to sew a patch or paint a gold key on their
garb to tell people to basically   " I'm not comfortable in this group yet.
Talk to me, tell me about what you are doing, but don't jump my case for
not being what you expect".'  She also mentioned that this would be good so
that if you were approached by someone wearing the key who had a question
you would know that they are new and perhaps you could give a little more
information than you normally would.  I think that this idea could be
extended to key pendants and/or belt favors.
I myself am new to the SCA (been here less than 3 months) but have
experience with costumes and 'the game'.  I find that sometimes people
forget I am new and when I ask questions the answers begin with 'Oh, you
know!'.  Unfortunately, I often don't know, especially concerning titles,
awards, period costumes, period manners, and especially events (ie: when is
it, where is it, what period is it, ect..).  I also experience a little
difficulty when I am trying to understand something new and my past
experience is based on another group.  I know that you get tired of hearing
about the other groups, but this is all I have to go on right now.  I think
the Key is a good idea because it says 'please be patient with me, I am
trying my best to blend in and be included.'

Sorry if this went on too long, but good ideas merit suggestion.

Robin Anderson of Ross