Newbie Intros

Homewrkr2 at aol.com Homewrkr2 at aol.com
Tue Jul 23 22:06:54 PDT 1996

   I would like to interject something here. Realize please that this is
coming from one who JUST started playing again. I played before so I had a
fairly good idea of what was going on, but was a bit rusty.

   I am now the Lieutenant (First Mate) on a ship recreation in Eldern Hills.
We have our story and all as to what we are recreating, but what we actually
do is take on newbies. This is part of our charter. No they do not have to be
crew to get help, although our crew has first priority. We help anyone we
can, but crew comes first...

   The Catherine has only been active for about two and a half months now,
but already we are noticing newbies starting to move our way. Many have said
they would like to join because "That guy over there started playing the same
time I did and he doesn't look like a newbie anymore."

    Don't get me wrong, we do not GIVE anybody anything. We do however lead
them through fabric stores/ the sewing process/events until they feel
comfortable enough to venture out on their own.

    Newbies (most) are not stupid, they are just new. This approach has
worked really well for us, and our barony (Eldern Hills) who, to my
knowledge, does not have a hospitaler at the moment.

    For the most part, if you hang the help out there, in whatever form, the
newbies will snatch it up and run with it...

   I learn very quickly, but in order to learn, I need a teacher. The Captain
of this ship, Kristof Fugger, along with others that have been playing a
while and know that the ship is for newbies have filled that role. Not to
brag on myself, but rather to give credit where credit is due, I have often
been mistaken for someone who has been playing up to two years. In
actuallity, I played for six months in 90-91 and I just started again in May
of this year. Something is working here.
William the Lost, Newbie that has found help...