Kingdom Seneschal

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 29 19:43:20 PDT 1996

You wrote:

signing and
>sending the warrant. I personally filled out a corporate warrant and
sent
>it to the previous Crown the first or second week of May for their
signature
>and forwarding to the Society Seneschal. I do not know why they did
not follow
>through, but the means was there.

We did follow through.  A copy was sent to Sedalia, and we overnighted
a copy to John Bearkiller as soon as we found out that Artorius had not
recieved his warrant. If you knew he had not recieved his warrant, why
were we not informed?  We WERE Crown at the time and you were the
Kingdom seneschal, it might have been nice if you had dropped us a line
and said "duhhh..what gives?"  Bearkiller tells us that he told you
that he did not have the warrant, yet you did not see fit to tell us.
Why did you not do so?

I checked a few times with Duchess Sedalia
>McNare and finally with John Bearkiller when we were not seeing the
warrant
>countersigned by Corporate back in Artorius' hands. (After signature
by
>Corporate, the signed warrant is sent back to the warranted officer).
>
>It placed us in a percarious position at the time of Coronation
because the
>Board of Directors was doing a ruling on the investiture of
Boardermarch.
>[Individuals in Bordermarch had protested the Baronial Investiture and
>petition was sent to the Society Seneschal. The Society Seneschal had
sent
>a letter back cautioning the Crown to hold off so the protest could be
looked
>into.

WHOAAAA.... back up a minute!  We NEVER recieved anything from Sedalia
about the investiture. Not one word.  In fact, Mikaela told us she
talked with Sedalia and Sedalia told her we were well within Corpora
and our own Kingdom law and everything was OK. The first we heard about
any petition was AT the investiture, where we were assured by the
Regional seneschal that it never left the Barony.  We then talked to
you and told you what we heard, that was the first we heard from you on
the subject, and you did not tell us at that time that it had gone
anywhere.  In fact, the next we heard about it was from John Bearkiller
telling us he had ruled in our favor.  Let me tell you it is a bit
disconcerting for a crown to be told about a ruling by the Society
Seneschal/Board about something you did not even no had gone before
them!  As seneschal, we depended upon you to keep us informed of these
things.  Why did we have to call you to ask about these things in order
to find out, and why didn't you inform us of the Corporate happenings.
Let me repeat myself 1)We never heard from Sedalia, 2) we never heard
from you or anyone else about the petition until after John had ruled
on it.  Anything we found out, we found out on our own.  This is not
what I expect from a kingdom seneschal.

>After the investiture went forward a request for a ruling on the
validity
>was requested.] During the Bordermarch issue, both Badon and Artorius
were
>accused of instigating this protest (Badon as the "looser" in the
poll,
>Artorius as "pushing" for the petition). I can say that Artorius was
not the
>individual who suggested a petition. Both myself and Artorius had
recieved
>calls from individuals in Bordermarch asking what could be done after
the
>announcement of who would be installed as Baron and Baroness in
Bordermarch.
>Both of us quoted the following from the Corporate Governing
Documents:

>Corpora VI.B.1.a Territorial Barons and Baronesses, Appointment and
Removal
>"The Crown shall appoint a territorial Baron and/or Baroness according
>the laws and customs of the  kingdom when a branch is granted baronial
status,
>and at such subsequent times as a new Baron and/or Baroness is
required. The
>Barony's opiion on the matter must be requested and received in
writing, and
>the appointments must not be substantively opposed by the populace of
the
>barony."
>
>It was the last line that promted a petition to Sedalia as a way to
state their
>substative disagreement with the planned appointment. Badon was at no
time a
>part of this process. In fact when contacted by the individuals doing
the
>petition, he told them we would not be involved.
>
>So what does this have to do with a warrant for Kingdom Seneschal?
Well the
>board was deciding on the fate of an investiture in this Kingdom that
allegedly
>involved two candidates for the office of Kingdom Seneschal. We were
not sure
>if Corporate would allow either individual to be signed by the Society
Seneschal
>until all charges could be cleared! If Artorius' warrant had been
signed the
>best Corporate could have done is suspeded him for a period of time,
but with
>no warrant, we were in a situation where we were in danger of not
getting the
>warrant signed! This was what was discussed at this now famous
"secret" meeting
>held Sunday at Coronation where all 3 candidates (Artorius, Badon and
Sir
>Burke) were discussed. If a mistake was made, it was not having Sir
Burke
>at the session, our apologies to Sir Burke. It was at this meeting
that
>Baron Artorius took his name from consideration, and Badon's warrant
was signed
>by Mikael and Mikaella.
>
>We already knew things would get confusing IF Corporate would sign
Badon's
>warrant. There is still no guarantee (we still do not have the warrant
>back in Kingdom) and did not want to explain yet another candidate
that was
>Kingdom Seneschal, then wait a minute, nope he is not. So it was
decided to
>wait until we had a real signed warrant before making yet another
announcement.
>This explination was to go with the announcement, there was no great
>consipiracy. Gees people.
>
>Maire

Basically, I want to know why it seems that there was a complete lack
of any attempt on your part to keep us informed about what was going
on. If you are going to make statements on the list making it look like
we were negligent in our duty, then I suggest that you look to your own
first.  If I sound angry, it is because I am.  I feel as if I was
intentionally kept in the dark and led down the primrose path by
someone, and I think the whole thing has a decidedly rotten smell to
it.

I am hereby asking you officially for an answer to these questions:

1) Why were we not informed by you of a petition from the Barony of
Bordermarch being sent to the Society Senechal's office relating to our
choice of Baron and Baroness?

2) Why were we not informed that Artorius had not recieved his warrant,
when John Bearkiller has informed us that he had told you at least two
weeks prior to Coronation that he had never recieved a signed warrant?

Also, I am requesting a copy of any letter to us from Sedalia which you
may have been cc'd on, relating to the Bordermarch situation.

Galen Eadwin Kirchenbauer

cc: TRM
    John Bearkiller
    Baron Artorius