(Fwd) [Mid] [SCA-CAID:5217] The Gift Letter (fwd)

Susan Earley ghita at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 30 04:51:18 PDT 1996

Prizes are things that are won through competition. Gifts are not. So
'stepping down prizes', unless there is a competition involved where
that prize is the reward for winning that competition, is a gift and
therefore the letter applies. Carolyn Richardson can expand on this
if necessary (she's the accountant).

> [long letter on gift giving being not allowed from SCA funds in the
> future deleted]
>
> What about prizes?
>
> Some items we have given in the past are stepping down prizes, which
> could be seen to be much more gifts than prizes. [In fact, in forwarding
> this message to a friend, in my mind I used "prize" and "gift" to mean
> the same thing, i.e. somebody got a goody.]
>
> I'm sure part of the confusion in my mind is due to the fact that we've
> used the $25 dollar/a person rule for the *prizes* that our group has
> given in the past.
>
> Estrill

Maestra Margherita Alessia, called Ghita    Member # 32315    Susan Earley
Shire of Rokkehealdan [SW Chicago Suburbs] ghita at netcom.com Brookfield, IL
"Not a Duchess, but I play one on TV"                 Treasurer, SCA, Inc.
Purpure, a sword palewise or between two winged cats rampant combatant,
               that to dexter Argent, that to sinister Or.