Response from Sir Barn on GW

Patricia Horton horton at dhostwo.convex.com
Wed Mar 6 08:39:50 PST 1996

Here is the response I received from Sir Barn:

Just heard from Bar.  He says that the rule is each kingdom must
play by its own combat standards.  In other words, he can't speak
for Trimaris/Meridies, but Ansteorrans will use only what is legal in
THIS kingdom - 9 foot spears, 6 foot polearms.  He is also certain
that other kingdoms' standards do not exceed the 9 foot spear length.
He doesn't know for sure about their polearm lengths.  Still, the
bottom line is we use only Ansteorra-legal weapons if we are
Ansteorra-authorized fighters - no matter what the other side uses.
For the most part, it will be up to each kingdom's marshals to enforce
their own rules during weapons inspection.

On the goggles question, Bar thinks that raquetball goggles would be
ok.  They aren't going to set a definite standard, so people need to
use some common sense - They should remember that the purpose of
said goggles is to prevent something with the speed and force of a
"thistle-missile" arrow from impacting with their eye.  If they
choose eye protection with this in mind, they will do fine.  Bar
recommends the soft-sided safety goggles with a strap (as opposed to
ear pieces).  Glasses-style eye protection won't provide much by
way of impact resistance and may not be deemed sufficient.

(Yep, looks like goggles will be required for melees that use missle
 weapons -- Maire)

Maire