Minors

Kathy Lee kal35810 at Jetson.UH.EDU
Fri May 3 08:21:07 PDT 1996

>Has anyone actually thrown a minor out of an event because they were
>drunk? Has anyone actually been refused entry to an event because no
>waiver was given?

When I was seneschal of Raven's Fort, I had to refuse entry to 2 minors.  A
group of 4 teenagers had showed up at the event gate.  Two were 18 or 19,
the other 2 were their under age girlfriends.  They went back home, and got
the girls' mothers to sign & notarize a waiver.  Then, about 4am, they
returned.  This was when the sca policy on minors first went into effect.

As for throwing someone out for drinking under age, the problem with that is
that once they're drunk you can't just kick them off site unless they have
someone sober to drive them home.  If you just throw them off site, and they
have an accident, you can still be liable.  What we have done is taken the
minors to the troll booth, where they sit until a parent/guardian comes to
get them.

It's been several years since I've been seneschal, but this is how we
handled it then.

We also used to have a girl at our events, in one household, who would take
matters into her own hands.  She would go through her under 21 household
members' belongings & dump out any alcohol she found.

-Katerina