Soapbox

Vicki Marsh zarazena at io.com
Wed May 22 18:58:42 PDT 1996

Stefan li Rous

PS: Hmm, what's the medieval equivalent for a soap box? I'm pretty sure
that used in that way it is an 18th century or later term.

I believe that a pulpit or a column might be a better word for it. There are
even references to Holy Men in Byzantium ( who were known as "Stylites")
ascending a column some 40 cubits high and enclosed at the top by a rail to
preserve them from falling when asleep.  From there, they would counsel and
comfort their disciples.
  One Stylite by the name of Daniel climbed atop a column at the age of 33
and stayed there until his death at the age of 83.  The reference can be
found in a great book "Everyday Life in Byzantium" by Tamara Talbot Rice.
The details of this particular religious fanatic body at the time of death
is pretty gross, even for me.

Getting down off my column... or would a pedestal be more like it??

Lady Zahra Zena Theanos