Soapbox

Mike Baker mbaker at rapp.com
Tue May 28 14:24:00 PDT 1996

Margaret Pearce wrote:
>Zahra Zhena wrote:
>>   One Stylite by the name of Daniel climbed atop a column at the age of
33
>> and stayed there until his death at the age of 83.
>How did he relieve himself?
>     Margaret Pearce, feeling pragmatic today

M'lady, with two young gentleman who name you "mother" I would think that
you would know quite well the "HOW"?

I suspect that you are more likely inquiring as to the nature of disposal of
eliminated wastes, my dear lady.  While I will certainly defer to the
knowledge of those who have studied the historical record in more detail, it
is my understanding that a part of the equippage required to support the
closest modern equivalents to the Stylite ("flagpole sitters") includes at
least two buckets (or similar containers) and a rope.  One container for
water, one for bodily wastes, and a method to lift and lower the other two.

>From implications in at least one source, I suspect that the correct
answer(s) for the Stylites may be far less acceptable to 20th century
sensibilities.

Amra, wondering immensely just how compleatly Margaret was blushing, or
will...

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!