Recognizing Skill and Good Works

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Nov 1 21:00:42 PST 1996

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Mike Baker <mbaker at rapp.com> wrote:
> For example, Steppes has the Order of the Oak of the Steppes [name
> approximate only

"Order of the Oak", registered 1/81 as an order name for "Barony of
the Steppes".

I called my dear liege lady in the Middle Kingdom, and nearly gave her
a heart attack.  I mentioned that I had received an Oak, and she was
flabbergasted and pleased as punch.  There was a few moments of
confusion; it turns out that "Oak" in the Middle is an abbreviation of
"*Silver* Oak, Order of the", registered 7/83 as an order name for
"Kingdom of the Middle" -- roughly an Iris of Merit.

"Order of the Oak".  Ask for it by name.  Accept no cheap imitations.  8-)

(There's also the Award of the Silver Oak Leaf for the Barony of
Bright Hills, BTW.)

--
Daniel de Lincoln
                             Tim McDaniel