Recognizing Skill and Good Works

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Nov 1 21:09:48 PST 1996

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Lori Jones <LJONES at bashful.ossm.edu> wrote:
> Actually, it depends on what you mean by Baronial Service awards.
> These awards are known as Baronial service awards,

Well, I'd call the armigerous order a "baronial service award"; I'm
pretty loose about calling membership in an order an award (but NOT
vice versa).

> and, because they are non-armigerous, the Crown does not need to
> approve them, nor does the name and badge need the approval of the
> college of heralds.  These awards are given solely at the discretion
> of the Baron/Baroness.

On Friday, 25 October, I sent a message to the Ansteorran list about
such topics.  Did it not get out?  Summary: Corpora and kingdom law
are confused, but Baroness Katrionna summarizes the usual reality.
(Well, I can't say about "solely at the discretion"; for all I know
there are baronies out there where the baron/ess consults, and I would
think it a good thing too.)

--
Daniel de Lincoln
                             Tim McDaniel