? Legalities of Homebrewing

Pug Bainter pug at interval.net
Tue Nov 5 07:35:14 PST 1996

> >Actually I am going to do that. In addition, I'm going to call about
> >some of the points that directly affect me, and not the SCA as a whole.
> >Those being, can I give it away and can I make mead legally.
> I'm not a legal expert, and will definately NOT offer an opinion on this
> topic other than to suggest that whatever you find out, the rules are likely
> to be FAR different north of the Red.

Uhh. You're definately right. I forgot to look up OK when I was looking.
(*sigh*) I will forward what I found to the High Chancelor and see if he
can dig up more.

> (My suspicion is, in fact, that
> as bizarrely repressive as Texas laws are going to be Oklahoma will have
> found some way to be more bizarre and more repressive -- particularly
> with regards to the Great Demon (there is no pride in my reporting this
> fact, just cynical expectation).

It's definately bizarre. The information I found is:

  Oklahoma presently has no legislation legalizing the production of beer
  in the home for personal or family use. However, Title 37 section 505
  provides for the legal home production of cider and wine.  Oklahoma
  statute 37-506(4) defines the term "Beer".  Pursuant to 37-505 the
  manufacture, sale, possession, etc. of any alcoholic beverage except as
  provided for in the act is prohibited.  Violation of 37-505 can result
  in a 30 day suspension of a state alcohol license, and/or $3,000 fine.

  Oklahoma state statute Title 37 section 505 provides that nothing shall
  prevent the making of cider, or of wine, not to exceed 200 gallons in
  any one year pursuant to a license first obtained from the Alcoholic
  Beverage Laws Enforcement (ABLE) Commission, by simple fermentation
  and without distillation, if made solely for the use of the maker,
  his family and guests.
	        ^^^^^^ Note, this implies you can give it away, but the
	               Texas law does not state this.

  Several individuals in Oklahoma have attempted to introduce legislation
  to allow for the production of beer in the home. These efforts, while
  sincere, have had no effect on modifying the existing law. To date we
  are aware of no enforcement action by state authorities.

  The current feeling among the homebrewing community in Oklahoma
  suggests a growing frustration with legislative reform in the area of
  beer production in the home for personal or family use.  However, the
  recent influx of brew pubs in the state may aid efforts to amend
  section 37-505 to include the production of beer in the home.

The place to contact for more information is:

  ABLE
  2501 N. Stiles
  Oklahoma City, OK 73105-3193
  (405) 521-3484
  FAX (405) 521-6578

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something