Fwd: INTERNET WARNING: virus or hoax

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 6 06:19:38 PST 1996

Greetings, Cousins,

Lyonel here.  I received this notice from a friend at work.  Thought I'd
share it with my friends.

>The latest hoax or a really bad virus?  I thought i'd pass this on since I
>wasn't sure.  Unlike the good times virus, this one actually sounds
>plausible.  I guess the idea is that you just don't look at any attachments
>you don't know, and don't try to download a copy of PKZIP if you're not on a
>reliable website.  This shouldn't be much of a problem since I hope the only
>person who'd send you this file through e-mail would be somebody you'd be
>suspicious of anyway ;)
>
>bill
>
>>Subject: INTERNET WARNING
>>Date:    11/5/96 7:33 AM
>>
>>     DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY FILE NAMED PKZIP300 REGARDLESS OF EXTENSION !!!
>>     A new Trojan Horse Virus has emerged on the internet with the name of
>>     PKZIP300.ZIP, so named as to give the impression that this file is a
>>     new version of the PKZIP software used to "zip" compressed files. DO
>>     NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! If you install or
>>     expand the file, the virus WILL wipe your hard disk clean and affect
>>     modems at 14.4 and higher. This is an extremely destructive virus and
>>     there is NOT yet a way of cleaning this one up. PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO
>>     ANYONE WHO MIGHT ACCESS THE NET.

Yours in Virtual Service

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
___________________________
Dennis G. Grace
Postmodern Medievalist
Division of Rhetoric and Composition
Department of English
University of Texas at Austin
amazing at mail.utexas.edu

Baro, metetz en guatge                    |  Lords, pawn your castles,
Chastels e vilas e ciutatz                |  your towns and cities.
Enanz qu'usquecs no'us guerreiatz         |  Before you're beat to the draw,
                                                    draw your swords.

                   -- Bertran de Born (a really fun Viscount)