Period Rumors (was: Re: INTERNET WARNING: virus or hoax)

Paul T. Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Thu Nov 7 15:37:48 PST 1996

Baker, Mike wrote:

<snip>

> With a mighty heave & following the general thoughtstream: to try and tie
> this back to the appropriate field of interest for these several mail-lists,
> can anyone point me toward sources dealing with rumors-gone-wild between
> 600ce and 1600ce? I've seen several references over the years concerning the
> suppression of heretical movements and non-majority religions being fueled
> by lies & deliberate misunderstanding.
>
> Were there any non-religious rumors that had anything near a similar level
> of impact during "period"?
>
> Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
>      currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
> Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
> Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
> otherwise!

I would suggest that the image passed down to us of Richard III of England might fall
into this category.  See _The Last Plantagenets_ by Thomas Costain.

Trivia:  Before he was King, Richard III was the Duke of Gloucester; today, the Duke of
Gloucester (Queen Elizabeth's first cousin) is the honorary president of the Richard III
Society.

- Galen
happy to be on another topic
pmitchel at flash.net