[TY] Fencing (fwd)

Matthew R. Popalisky mrp at engr.uark.edu
Fri Nov 8 09:44:16 PST 1996

What happened?!?!

Kateryn

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 02:04:15 -0600 (CST)
From: "David L. Backlin" <dbackli at comp.uark.edu>
To: mrp at engr.uark.edu
Subject: [TY] Fencing (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 22:14:06 -0500
From: DUKEGARETH at aol.com
To: meridies at web.ce.utk.edu
Subject: [TY] Fencing

Unto the Populace of Meridies from Their Royal Majesties, Gareth and Rhiannon
come Greetings

There are times during a reign when a crown must hand down hard decisions.
 This is one of those times.  Due to a variety of factors, We must bring the
fencing experiment in Meridies to a close, effective immediately.  We take no
pleasure in having to make this decision.  We are well aware that some of you
will be disappointed.  For that, We are sorry.  Sorrier still We would be to
see one of you seriously or mortally wounded.

Support for fencing in the Kingdom of Meridies has been lackluster.
 Currently there are no more than fifty authorized fencers in the entire
Kingdom.  Many of those authorized do not own their own equipment.  This,
versus a population in excess of two thousand official members is not a
healthy enough roster to support this activity.  Furthermore, the experiment
itself has had many failings.  Currently, all official reports are well past
due.  We have had a major suspension action within the first six months.
 Numerous fencing events and demos have been cancelled due to a lack of
interest and attendence.  We feel that this lack of support is an indicator
that fencing is not for Meridies.

All of these factors together would not cause Us to end the experiment early.
 However, due to the recent serious injury in a fencing accident, and the
penetration of a mask in another accident, We feel that safety has moved to
the forefront of the issue.  Safety dictates that We act now.  It is for
these reasons that We end the experiment.

We will do a mailing as soon as possible, as We are aware that an electronic
posting is not official correspondance.  However, We wanted to inform anyone
who is travelling to Fighter's Collegium specifically to fence that there
will be no fencing activities in this Kingdom from this time forward.  Please
disseminate this as widely as possible to prevent unneccessary inconvenience.
 We will not be discussing this decision verbally.  We are taking this action
after consultation with Our Earl Marshal.  If anyone has comments, they may
send them to Us and the Earl Marshal in writing.

Gareth, Rex Meridies                                Rhiannon, Regina Meridies

Sir Robert Glendon of Auk, Earl Marshal