New Book on Vikings

SusanKFord at aol.com SusanKFord at aol.com
Mon Nov 11 09:11:44 PST 1996

Found a wonderful book at Barnes and Noble yesterday:

Chronicles of the Vikings, Records, Memorials, and Myths by R.I. Page,
published by British Museam Press, 1995. Isbn: 0-8020-7165-1 for paperback.

It discusses the poetry and other writings of the Scandinavians and has a lot
of "Viking wisdom". I have not read much of it so far, but here is an example
of "Viking Wisdom":

Don't say, "It's been a good day" until sundown.
Don't say, "She's been a good wife" till she's buried.
Don't say, "It's a good sword" till you've tested it.
Don't say, "She's a good girl" till she's married.
Don't say, "The ice is safe" till you've crossed it.
Don't say, "the beer is good" till you've drunk the last of it.

Another:  (my favorite)

A stupid man in company
Had better hold his tongue.
No-one will know how stupid he is
If he doesn't talk to much.
(Though a man who knows nothing cannot know
when he is talking too much.)

Sigrid Eiriksdottir