Laurel's Prize Tourney

Michael Gunter michael_gunter1 at msmail.fnts.com
Mon Nov 11 12:02:28 PST 1996

For those asking for more details about the LPT this weekend, please allow me
to submit my remembrances of it.

Displays ranged from delicate Russian Painted Eggs to a full-sized working
Trebuchet.  There were several displays of Calligraphy & Illumination, food
ranging from Custard by Apicius to Salmon in Pastry, lutes, armor, mead &
wine, really wonderful embroidery, and on and on...

The artisans were on hand to respond to questions and explain procedures (and
mostly just to say "Thank You" to all of the praise being heaped upon them).
Some of the Laurels displayed a bit of their work as well.  Mistress
Gunnora's display, as usual, took my breath away.

The youths who entered were also impressive.  The youngest, a girl of about
6, was disappointed according to her mother because the work just wasn't
quite good enough for her.  One of the other entrants, Master Robin's page
(please forgive me but I forget his name) entered the aforementioned Custard,
the best tasting cookies on site, a woven basket, clay work, and didn't
really respond to questions very well because he was too busy finishing up
some weaving.  He got a handshake and a kiss from Their Majesties because it
was stated that he didn't want to compete with the children but with the
adults!  I hope someone writes about the other 11-year-old because I cannot
remember his works.

I wish to thank all of the Laurels who attended.  They admired the works and
gave tokens and advice to the artisans.  They were extremely kind and
generous both with praise and encouragement.  My lady who was very nervous
about attending had a wonderful day.  Again Thank You All.

I hope this helps.

Yers,

Gunthar