Help in textiles (I think)

Terry_A._Harper at hud.gov Terry_A._Harper at hud.gov
Wed Nov 13 09:20:40 PST 1996

I have a friend who has lots of white fabric she wants to die. However,
we are wondering if she should make the dress then die (the dress, not
herself) or die first then make the dress. Neither of us have had any
experience (sucessful or otherwise) in this area and we're baffled.
Advise is begged. We've been told it should die well. I've seen fouled-up
die jobs. That is not something I'd care to experience.
Should we use the washing machine, hot water in the sink, or a pan of
boiling water?? She is tea-staining. I'm un-easy.

We appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

p s... Did you know ferrets have no spines?  :)

As usual,
the Easily Distracted...
L. Deirdre

Wash the fabric first.  Then I would dye it in the washer, full water
          level,(regardless of the amount of fabric) the excess water
          helps you get an even dye job.  Fill the washer with water
          and whatever dye stuff your using, then add fabric.  This
          will enable you to get a more even dyeing.  Afterwards, run
          a complete cycle with detergent and bleach to clean out
          washer.

          Hope this helps.

          Rhiain