Laws and calendars

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 14 10:40:05 PST 1996

Greetings, Cousins,

Lyonel ici.

After perusing the Kingdom Laws, I find my self a bit confused (a common
result, or so Daniel de Lincoln's previous postings suggest). Anyway, I was
hoping one of our many fine experts on all things Ansteorran could help
clarify some matters for me.

First, I was hoping to gain someinsight into a "law" I've heard tell of
which limits the number of Calendar events a group may haev per year.  Do we
have such a law?  Was it specified in statute after the 1994 edition of
kingdom law was published?  What exactly does this law limit/prohibit/require?

Second, along the same lines, I came across Article V, Section 4:  Perpetual
Events, which says,

        Section 4: Perpetual Events

        a. These are Baronial or Provincial events which have definite dates
        reserved on the Calendar of Events for them each year.

                 <snip--i. through xii., naming the twelve events for twelve
baronies>

        b. These events are specifically not protected and may have other events
        scheduled on the same date.

        c. The Baron/ess together with the baronial seneschal may petition the
        Crown to waive a perpetual event for one year.

        d. The Baron/ess together with the baronial seneschal may petition the
        Crown to change the date of a perpetual event.

        e. In the event that Crown Toumament is scheduled on a weekend
designated as an perpetual event weekend, that Barony or Province will
be given the option of either moving its perpetual event to a different
calendar date for that year, or waiving it as per subsection (c).

Okay, so here's my question:  what purpose does this list serve?  The events
have a "reserved" weekend, but they are specifically NOT "protected"(???).
I don't want to sound sarcastic, but is this actually supposed to mean
anything?  Is the general understanding of this arrangement clearer than the
written law?  How might NOT having a major, repeating event--Lyonesse, for
example--on this list affect the event's scheduling?

I'm probably just not looking in the right place, but until someone points
me in the right direction, I'll remain

Yours in Confused Service

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
_________________________
Dennis G. Grace
Postmodern Medievalist
Division of Rhetoric and Composition
Department of English
University of Texas at Austin
amazing at mail.utexas.edu

Baro, metetz en guatge                    |  Lords, pawn your castles,
Chastels e vilas e ciutatz                |  your towns and cities.
Enanz qu'usquecs no'us guerreiatz         |  Before you're beat to the draw,
                                                    draw your swords.

                   -- Bertran de Born (a really fun Viscount)