Laws and calendars

Lori Jones LJONES at bashful.ossm.edu
Thu Nov 14 11:25:14 PST 1996

> Lyonel wrote:
> I was hoping one of our many fine experts on all things Ansteorran
> could help clarify some matters for me.

Well, if *I'm* an expert, the kingdom's doomed for sure.  I certainly
hope there's people out there (in fact, I'm sure there are) who know
this stuff better than I do.

> I was hoping to gain someinsight into a "law" I've heard tell of
> which limits the number of Calendar events a group may have per
> year.  Do we have such a law?

When I was a local seneschal, I always operated under the theory that
we had such a law.  I know the topic came up many times during
the tenures of the two previous Kingdom Seneschals (and probably
before that, but my memory gets hazy).

When I was seneschal, the law, as it was explained to me, was that a
group could hold a maximum of 3 calendar events per year.  They
could hold more events if they wished, but those events would not
be put on the kingdom calendar.  The non-calendar events have to pay
for BlackStar adds, whereas calendar events get 2 months free (I think).

> Was it specified in statute after the 1994 edition of kingdom law
> was published?

I'd be interested to know that as well.  I think the only thing I
ever saw about it was a letter from the Kingdom Seneschal explaining
the new policy.  I just assumed it would be put into law at the
earliest opportunity.

> Second, along the same lines, I came across Article V, Section 4:
> Perpetual Events, <snip>
> what purpose does this list serve?  The events have a "reserved"
> weekend, but they are specifically NOT "protected"(???).

It actually means that the group doesn't have to submit a request for
Date on Kingdom Calendar form to the Kingdom Seneschal.  That officer
automatically assumes that those events will happen on their
scheduled date and is supposed to automatically put them on the
Calendar for the next year.  The only benefit I see is that another
group can know up to a year in advance when their neighboring barony
is going to host it's championship tourney and can avoid scheduling their
event on a near weekend.

I think, also, that there is a rule (or precedence) that two events
in the same region won't be scheduled on the same weekend, but that
also falls under the responsibilities of the Kingdom Seneschallate to
enforce.  That may be another one of those things that just hasn't
made it into Kingdom Law yet.

> How might NOT having a major, repeating event--Lyonesse, for
> example--on this list affect the event's scheduling?

I think it would only make it inconvenient for the surrounding groups
to plan.  However, most area groups are aware of approximately when
the repeating, non-perpetual events happen and try not to schedule
opposite of them.  I know *I* would.

> until someone points me in the right direction, I'll remain
> Yours in Confused Service
> Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace

until someone with more of a clue comes along.... :-)

In Service,

Kat

Baroness Kat MacLochlainn
Barony of Wiesenfeuer

Lori Jones
Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics
LJONES at ossm.edu

"The way to get things done is not to mind who gets the credit of
doing them."
	-  Benjamin Jowett