Rognvaldr, Bjornsborg, and Farts

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Fri Nov 15 09:53:44 PST 1996

Heilsa, All.

        I got a letter telling me I was mean the other day when I posted the
song about Rognvaldr's clothing, because one verse had been made up by
Stacia while sitting on the porcelain throne... which at the time I had said
was very appropos in a song concerning Rognvaldr.

        No, this is not disrepectful. It's not even mean.  Rognvaldr, of
course, is Finnish and a cousin of some sort to start with.  But he is first
and foremost a Bjornsborger.  Why would that make a toilet reference
appropriate and not mean?  Well, as an illustrative story, not too long ago
one of the Bjornsborg tribe (Ivar, I think) went all alone to an event in
Bryn Gwlad.  When he returned, he is said to have marvelled, "You know, it
was really weird!  We were there the whole weekend and NOBODY ever talked
about farts!  Not even once!"

        And now you have to consider Finns in general.  In the Middle Ages,
and even to some extent now, Finns are said to have power over the winds.
In fact, some great Finnish wizards had a "Bag of Winds" from which they
could summon appropriate winds.  Upon learning this, and knowing Rognvaldr,
it does not take long to determine that he has a veritable horde of winds
(not precisely at his command, but...) and he has a Bag of Winds that he
will slip under you as you sit down that will cause you to temporarily have
the same command of the winds that he does.  No, no right-thinking person
would ever feed a Finn from Bjornsborg beans.  Or cabbage.  It only
increases our power over the winds.

        In fact, if you want a song about Rognvaldr that is even less (more)
respectful concerning bathroom comments than my previous post, you have to
ask Briony Blaaslagen to sing *her* song about Rognvaldr!!  I can't even
begin to remember enough of it to post, but no doubt someone else will.

Wassail,
::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde