Fencing in Meridies

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Fri Nov 15 23:48:57 PST 1996

Llywelyn, thank you so much for your reply.  m'lord and I were ver curious
and concerned.

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Todd W. Marsh (Sierra Dallas) wrote:

> Safety? In Meridies there have been no fencing injuries.  In Trimaris, a
> fencer took a blade that had been banned from use onto the practice
> field.  The marshal on the field didn't know this and didn't check the
> equipment.  The blade broke and penetrated the other fencer's jacket and
> pectoral muscle.  Both fencers and the marshal on the field got
> suspensions.  It took a triple failure (blade, jacket, marshal) to cause
> an injury about as bad as those seen monthly at armored practices.  (One
> armored fighter in this barony currently has a broken hand and another a
> torn rotator cuff in the shoulder.)  Yes, it could have been _much_
> worse.  Does this mean all fighting should stop?
>
> In another situation in Atenvelt, a blade broke and the broken end hit a
> mask.  It slid off the mask and tore the vinyl padded edging.  No one
> was hurt.  In doing its job, the mask was damaged.  When was the last
> time _you_ saw armor damaged?  Is this a major safety incident?  I don't
> think so either.

I most heartily agree with you, but then if I move to a "pro-lite"
kingdom, I plan to try out light weapons, and my husband might.

> We don't know yet what this means for fencing at Gulf War.  I don't
> expect that Meridies will reinstate fencing by then.  If the Crown of
> Meridies denies the field, I will bring suit to their court.  I will not
> fight secretly to avoid their decision, as has been done in the past.

I fear certain parties in Calontir have been having a field day with this.
We have a vocal member of shire who is virulently anti-light wrote a
charming ditty (tune-Johnnie Comes Marching Home, very sentimental for
Calontir)

   .....And one of these days you will kill someone/And we
        all shall know why/The Society's Not Their Home...

The only excerpt I remember.  We will need to do some damage control, no a
lot of damage control, for these above incidents.  I know we will never
change this gentle's mind, but I hate to think of those he has predjudiced
that haven't bothered to find both sides of the story.

I will leave off now before I start dithering.  This is a very touchy
subject and I am not in accord with my shire.

Kateryn
Grimfells.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.