Prejudices within Our Society (long)

Chris Walden cmwalden at flash.net
Mon Nov 18 18:06:23 PST 1996

No flames here, Sir.

But I will answer to the attitudes that you have noted on both sides
of the "stick."

> Now that I've given the "warm-fuzzies", I'll go on to some of the
> problems encountered when the communities clash.  As Lyonel
> commented the "wimp factor" is a contributor in which both sides
> have caused to be a problem. Rapier combat is very exerting and does
> require athletic skill but as far as true love beyond pain and fear
> factor I do not think it compares with chivalric combat.

I will grant you that.  In fact that is a problem that I've noticed
in much of our fencing styles in that we often seem to have no fear
of the blade.  A flip side to that is that the cannons and muskets
are missing.  (I'm not suggesting we try to add them.)  I can say
from an experience at a Texas Civil War recreation that when cannons
fire AT you, whether they are loaded or not, they get your attention
and add some of that fear factor that you discuss.

So I will grant you that the armored fighters do "face fear" as a
regular part of that game.  I'm not sure where that fits into the
discussion unless the argument is that armored fighters are just
plain meaner and tougher than rapier fighters.  OK.  If you want.

> When a rapier fighter swaggers around with a
> "Don't mess with me, I'm deadly!" attitude (yes, we've had those as
> well as swaggering loutish heavy fighters) I've had to squelch the
> urge to pat them on the head and go "I'm sure you are, dear."

I encounter this attitude constantly with every form of combatant in
our game.  I cannot begin to count the deadly experts that I have
talked to who are practically green berets and are ready to kill me
in an instant.  The *real* green beret types that I've known have
been much more modest about their abilities until it was time.)  I
think that macho-smug just dripping with testosterone is unseemly in
*anyone*, unless they are a movie thug or a cartoon character.

> Another problem that has occured is the seeming lack of interest by
> rapier fighters in the other activities going on at events.  Often
> when an armored championship bout is going on (I have even seen this
> done at a Crown tournament) the light fighters are off in a corner
> having their own get-together.

This is a tough one to deal with.  If we work from the standpoint
that the most important thing going on at an event is the tournament,
and that watching and cheering the tournament shows you really care,
then I'll understand.  But I think that leaning on the tennis match is
a fault that we live out constantly.  I've known artsy types who go
off and embroider or make music during the tournament.  I've known
political mavens that go out behind the trees and discuss the latest
big issue.  These people are not labeled traitorous.

The fact is that all tournaments, in all of our combat styles have
the potential to be deadly dull.  It's one fight after another with
little pomp and circumstance and an endless stream of fighters.  The
ones who rabidly enjoy the tournaments are the ones who fight all
the way through them, or are very focused on seeing how everyone
else does things.  We need to spend some effort making our
tournaments entertaining and lively.  I don't know what it takes to
do this.  In some ways our lists are too big to correct this.  But I
think why the attendance drifts is because it's boring.  (Most
tournaments are boring, armored or rapier.)

>They missed the Championship tournies (if they
> have no interest in the armored combat that is understandable), the
> bardic fires, and many other parts of what makes the SCA unique.

Don't know many like this.  I agree with you.  Those who cannot enjoy
any community or activities besides the tournament should, in between
battles, have themselves greased and packed away with their weapons.

> But many have found the Cavalier
> styles distracting.  They can see through the viking wearing tennis
> shoes but be bothered by the perfectly authentic French Gallant
> wearing the lace and feathers.  This is a prejudice that will only
> be cured by time and acceptance.

I'm not sure where the distraction comes from.  I find myself
distracted by loud and disruptive behavior-- such as howling and
drumming and throwing up in my campsite.  I am distracted by
discussions about Corpora and mundane law as it affects the SCA at
events.  I am distracted by people who will find no neutral ground
and can only interact with me by telling me how the Franks are all
evil and should be killed.

When I want to put together a period French experience, I try to
drift away a little bit, because I don't want to put it into anyone's
face.  But when I'm in a mixed environment, I try to discuss neutral
topics, and play games and enjoy the company-- not evangelize.

> Many rapier
> fighters feel there is an unreasoning hatred of thier chosen art
> just because they're different but I hope to show that this just
> ain't so.  There have been problems on both sides of the fence and
> with open eyes and cooperation I think this fence can be torn down.

This is something that I haven't experienced.  I have always felt
equally honored by rapier and armored citizen's alike.  Most of my
friends who have influenced me over they years have been
cross-trained.  In fact, I did go to Lyonesse with Sir Connor as his
translator-- watched the tournament with great interest, and came
back with renewed vigor for making myself and my SCA activities a
little more interesting.  I've NEVER gotten that from a rapier event,
and that's a damned shame.

As long as the discussion stays on the level of foils vs. sticks we
will get nowhere-- and deservedly so, because we are being shallow
and uninteresting.  However, if we come together on the important
issues of honor and gentility and try to do some give and take on
making the atmosphere better, so that we all get a turn here and
there, then we'll spend a lot less time arguing about it, and a lot
more time doing what we're all here for.

Antoine Dore
Bryn Gwlad