Prejudice

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Tue Nov 19 15:38:08 PST 1996

As some one how fought rapier for about one year and has not and do not plan
to fight chivalric ( when I joined the SCA new "heaveys" were broke in by
putting them in armor and beating them like a pell ). I think every one in
the SCA should go to and WATCH at least one Crown list one Queens Champion
and one Cornation, have done the first two and will get the last one done
some time.  Then if you don't care for the fighting either don't go to
Crown/Queens or find some thing to do that does not distract from others
enjoyment.
One should also accept that they may be a secondary part of an event and
only have sunday to do their thing.  As for the other events go do your
thing but realize that not ever one will care to do or for that matter even
know about your thing.
Some of you are probably wonder what this has to do with chivalric and/or
rapier combat? Well may be nothing but my thing is archery and in the name
of safty we are often put in some God forsaken out of the way place, if at
all. Not that we are a hazard to ourself but to protect others.
I have shoot an archery competion at a Crown list, we finished befor the
list started put away our bows and went and watched the fighting.  It made
the event more enjoyable for me, to have waited till the list was over would
have made it to dark to shoot. The next day would have worked just as well.
I am not saying have an archery or light list before Crown. Or a chivalric
list befor Queens, just that it made that Crown list more enjoyable for me
and it may be some thing to think about for some of the future Crown list
and perhaps also Queens. Then have a list on sunday for the rapier/Chivalric
fighters and one could even have an archery shoot if space permited.
As to how you get the other side to come to your event so that they can have
fun on sunday I don't know if there is a way with-out having some hormone
druged idiot from trying to do his thing in the middle of your event other
that to knock them in the head and or tie them up.
Plachoya Sobaka a most insignificant archer in Ravens Fort